If you are thinking about selling your home, there are lots of improvements to do before it goes on the market! This list often includes making small or large improvements to your space to bump up your home’s value. A common improvement that many people think about is painting their home’s interior, but what about exterior painting? Is the effort worth the effect on your home’s value? Even if you are not selling your home, here are 5 signs it’s time to paint your house exterior.
A fresh coat of paint on your home’s exterior can definitely increase your home’s value, but you need to make sure it is done right! Having a professional team of painters paint your home’s exterior may be a great way to increase your listing price – just make sure that any underlying damage to siding or stucco is repaired before applying a fresh coat of paint! Here’s what a new exterior paint job says about your home to a potential buyer:
- It shows that your home is well looked after
- It makes your home look newer
- It looks stylish and appealing
First impressions are everything in the real estate business – and having a good looking exterior sets your home up for a great first impression. If a potential buyer arrives at your home and sees peeling, cracked, or chipped exterior paint, they may wonder if other areas of the home have also been left unmaintained. If they instead pull into your driveway and see a freshly painted home, you might see that interest in your home’s listing increases.
So, how do you decide on a new colour? It’s important to choose a colour best suited to sell your home, while also giving you a return on your investment of time and money. Here are a few tips for colour selection:
- It’s a good idea to choose a light neutral colour for your home’s exterior, as lighter colours can make houses look larger.
- Avoid darker shades as they can make your home appear smaller and could even (according to some realtors) decrease its value.
- Pair your light neutral colour with white trim to make the colour pop and give a crisp look.
- Finally, you can choose to add a brighter colour to accent your front door or garage door. This adds a fun and fresh look to your home!
Looking for colour suggestions to make your home look it’s best? Contact our painters in Victoria BC today to learn more about our colour consultation and exterior painting services!