Our team is always looking out for the best new product, and we love to share our recommendations for our favourite paints and tools with our customers. Below is our review of the Benjamin Moore SCUFF-X line – a product designed specifically with business owners and commercial spaces in mind.
The Benjamin Moore SCUFF-X product has been around since 2017 when it became one of the first out-of-the-can alternative products to alkyds and epoxies for commercial use. The product went on to be featured in many publications and win multiple awards. According to Benjamin Moore, the SCUFF-X product is:
“A high-performance, one-component latex coating specifically engineered to deliver outstanding performance and protection for the toughest high-traffic areas in busy commercial spaces. This breakthrough product offers superior durability and more scuff-resistant properties than traditional 2-component coatings.”
Anyone who manages a commercial space knows that maintenance of high traffic areas can be a costly and time consuming exercise, but also one that is needed in order to keep a space looking clean and professional for clients. For many years, the go-to products were either oil, alkyd, or epoxy based, but concerns with the environmental impacts and the short shelf life made these products problematic. Enter: Benjamin Moore SCUFF-X!
The Benjamin Moore SCUFF-X line is made for a variety of spaces such as gymnasiums, churches, hospitals, museums, and retail stores. Since these spaces see a lot of comings and goings, they need to be easy to maintain – this includes having the walls stay as clean as possible for as long as possible. With this in mind, here are some initial thoughts about the SCUFF-X product:
- Application: This paint has exceptional application characteristics. It’s thick, with volume solids of 40% and often only requires one coat when recoating with a similar colour. Even with brush and roller application, it flows out nicely for a glass like finish. SCUFF-X dries quickly and cleans up easily with soap and water.
- Durability: SCUFF-X is exceptionally durable. It provides the durability of hard to apply two component coatings, with the convenient application of traditional latex paints.
So, where are the best spots to use SCUFF-X?
- Interior Trim Work: Despite being formulated for institutional environments, the smooth durable finish of Scuff-X makes it ideal for any interior trim work. Baseboards, doors, and door jambs take the most abuse of any interior space…That’s why we often use Scuff-X for our interior trim projects.
- Fitness and Sports Facilities: Gyms, indoor courts, indoor tracks, and indoor fields take a lot of beating from cleats, balls, equipment, and hundreds of athletes. On top of that, locker rooms need constant upkeep due to heavy use. These types of spaces require a durable and long lasting paint such as the SCUFF-X line.
- Hospitals and Healthcare: When it comes to busy healthcare facilities, it’s important that public spaces such as washrooms, waiting rooms, cafeterias, and examination rooms stay clean. Also, with the heavy use of wheelchairs and carts, scuffs are more likely to happen in these spaces. Healthcare staff have to juggle many priorities, and keeping walls maintained should not be one of them – which is why the SCUFF-X product is a reliable choice.
- Retail Spaces: With so many customers and pieces of merchandise flowing in and out of stores and warehouses, retail spaces get worn down easily. On top of this, many stores have long hours which leaves little time in between for maintenance. Because of this, the durability of the paint is essential so that the space does not have to be painted as often, and so it can withstand constant cleaning.
- Housing and Accommodation: Apartment and hotel lobbies, hallways, and laundry facilities should be kept looking presentable and need to resist scuffs from moving furniture, suitcases, and general daily life. SCUFF-X can be applied to walls, doors, trim, baseboards, and window frames in these spaces.
- Public Institutions: Public spaces such as transit stations and libraries often do not have high budgets for maintenance, so they need to be built to last the first time. Other spaces such as museums and art galleries have to be kept clean so that the real stars of the show – the exhibits – can shine. SCUFF-X is a great product to use in these spaces too.
All in all, the Benjamin Moore SCUFF-X line is a great product that we would recommend to any commercial client. Business owners and facility managers will appreciate the durability of this paint, along with its ease of use and quick drying time compared to epoxy based alternatives. The product also comes at good value, with a price around $50 CAD.
If you’d like to hear more about Benjamin Moore SCUFF-X, or are looking to refresh your commercial space with a new coat of paint, contact our professional team of painters today!
For information about Benjamin Moore’s revolutionary product: